Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Parkinson's Disease - Not a Joking Matter


When Cari and I started our Social Security Disability blog, I doubt either one of us would have thought we would ever mention the name of Kanye West in it. Unfortunately, we are mentioning it now and not in connection with a positive story.
Kanye West is no stranger to controversy. At a minimum, he is known for being brash, outspoken, and arrogant , though I am sure some of you reading this could substitute some better adjectives that may more accurately describe this man. In fact, I think President Obama’s remark that Kanye West is a “jackass” is likely appropriate. However, I understand that in the entertainment world shock value sells and that there is often the perception that there is no such thing as “bad publicity.” As long as it is harmless, I have no problem with it. I usually can just ignore it.

Occasionally, however, a celebrity or public figure does something that is so offensive that it warrants discussion and while I am hesitant to call further attention to this (ummm…let me choose my word carefully) “jackass,” I am going to do so to address a larger issue – the insensitivity  that certain people have to those with profound disabilities.

Kanye West recently released a new album called “Yeezus.” In the song entitled “On Sight,” West describes how he gets a woman “shaking like Parkinson’s.” Full disclosure… I am editing the exact phrase he uses because this blog is G-rated, but let’s just say he uses a more offensive term than the feminine noun “woman” but that would require a whole other blog to address this lyrical choice.
What I want to address in this blog is his insensitivity towards the Parkinson’s Disease community by making a casual and distasteful reference to getting a woman trembling like she has Parkinson’s Disease.  It makes me wonder if West is just grossly insensitive to those who suffer from this progressive and debilitating disease OR is he just completely ignorant to all the trials and tribulations that people with Parkinson’s Disease go through on a daily basis?

I prefer to think of people as being ignorant opposed to apathetic. Stupidity breeds confusion, while apathy to others in dire situations is an indication (to me at least) that you are devolving as a human. Thus, I am just going to hope that Kanye West simply doesn’t understand how serious and devastating Parkinson’s Disease can be.

For our clients who deal with it every day, you know exactly what I am talking about. For those of you out there who have never known someone with Parkinson’s, let me tell you that experiencing tremors is just one of the many symptoms that people with Parkinson’s must deal with. While tremors are often a hallmark of Parkinson’s Disease, other physical symptoms include rigidity, bradykinesia, balance issues, and gait immobilization. People with Parkinson’s Disease can have difficulty with communications and suffer from word-finding and aphrasia.  A host of cognitive and mental health issues can accompany a diagnosis of Parkinson’s Disease, including depression, concentration and memory issues, and in its advanced stages, dementia. Parkinson’s Disease is incurable, and while there are medications out there to manage the symptoms, Parkinson’s is progressive in nature.  For more information on Parkinson’s Disease, please visit our website at:

http://www.westcoastdisability.com/The-Social-Security-Disability-Claims-Process/Impairments-Physical/Parkinson-s-Disease.shtml

Additionally, the America Parkinson’s Disease Association (“APDA”) has a wealth of information and support for the Parkinson’s Disease community. Here is a link to their website:
http://www.apdaparkinson.org/

I happen to think it would be beneficial for Kanye West to visit with one of the local APDA chapters, so he can understand why the Parkinson’s Disease community was outraged by his poor choice in lyrics.   As a disability advocate, I can’t help but take offense when a life altering disease is discussed glibly and in what appears to be a poor attempt at a comedic lyric. It isn’t creative. It isn’t shocking. It just makes you a bigger jackass.

Got a question that you need answered? Please check out our website at www.westcoastdisability.com . We try to provide you with valuable information on our website that may help you navigate the Social Security Disability process. Also, feel free to shoot us an email at info@westcoastdisability.com or call us at (800) 459-3017.

 

3 comments:

  1. My husband was diagnosed with early onset Parkinson's disease at 68. His symptoms were shuffling of feet, slurred speech, low volume speech, degradation of hand writing, horrible driving skills, right arm held at 45 degree angle. Things were tough for me, I too was diagnosed of COPD but now we both finally free from these diseases with the help of total cure herbal foundation, He now walks properly and all symptoms has reversed. He had trouble with balance especially at night, getting into the shower and exiting it is difficult. Getting into bed is also another thing he finds impossible. We had to find a better solution for his condition which has really helped him a lot,The biggest helped we had was totalcureherbsfoundation. com They walked us through the proper steps, im highly recommending this herbal formula to anyone who needs help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was diagnosed in November 2007 with Parkinson's Disease. I have left side tremors, balance and gait issues and some non-motor symptoms:  quiet voice, some cognitive decline, small handwriting. I am currently on Sinemet for tremors and Cymbalta for neuropathy related to diabetes and previous chemotherapy. It was on my 25th anniversary of surviving breast cancer that I got the PD diagnosis. I am 69, retired, single woman sharing a house with my sister.  I like to read, quilt, and crochet. I have been reading up on PD.  Until I read too much and it scares me.  Then I put it away until I calm down and can research it some more. I need advice and some direction. I searched further, visited Parkinson’s websites, blogs. I find info about someone having the same symptoms. I was really determined. Fortunately for me, I stumbled on a testimony of someone who had Parkinson’s for several years and was cured through Herbal medication. I read awesome stories of people whose condition were worse. I was not a fan of Herbal Medication, because I once believed that they have not researched it enough. But due to numerous testimonies  I was more than willing to try it…. I contacted  Dr. Fabien, and I purchased the medicine and used just the way doctor instructed. Its a thing of joy to come back and make my review.. It became a miracle for me within 7 months. The herbal medication worked without any trace of side effects on I’m…. totally free. I have been cured for Parkinson’s. I was a shocking experience with the medicine. I never knew I will be free for Parkinson’s disease.  Email dr.fabiencontantin@gmail.com or www.kunimeherbs.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am here to express my profound warm gratitude to Doctor Lewis Hill herbal medicine, which i got from Dr Lewis Hill. I am now leaving a healthy life since the past 1 Year i am now Parkinson disease free after the application and usage. You can contact for your medication from via Email  lewishill247@gmail.com. Wish you all the best and a happy healing. Thanks and God Bless you for your help doctor

    ReplyDelete