Tuesday, September 11, 2018

How Are Administrative Law Judges Hired?


My clients frequently ask me how the Social Security Administration (“SSA”) selects the Judges to hear their disability claim. Up until July 10, 2018, Administrative Law Judges (“ALJ”) were hired through a competitive process that was conducted by the Office of Personnel Management. It involved an application, a series of online and in-person tests that took place in the D.C. area, followed by a structured interview. The process was lengthy and could take a full year. Once all the results were in, the ALJ candidates would receive a score. If the score was high enough, the candidate would be placed on an ALJ register and potentially receive an interview at one of the Federal agencies looking to hire an ALJ, if the location of position matched a location that the ALJ candidate selected as an area he or she would serve.

This all changed on July 10 2018, however. On said date, President Donald J. Trump signed an executive order excepting ALJs from competitive service and assigned the hiring process of ALJs to the individual agencies where they would serve. Unfortunately, as the Office of Personnel Management has historically competitively screened the ALJ candidates, the individual agencies do not have a process in place for hiring ALJs at this time. The fear is this can impact the already exceedingly long backlogs at the hearing offices.

This significant order was issued at least in part due to the Supreme Court’s recent decision in Lucia v. Securities and Exchange Commission, No. 17-130 (June 21, 2018) which questioned whether ALJs had been properly appointed in keeping in line with the Appointment Clause of the Constitution. The fear of course is that replacing the hiring of ALJs with a noncompetitive or meritless process will open the door to a political cronyism.

A bill has been introduced by Sens. Maria Cantwell, D-Wash., and Susan Collins, R-Maine, to restore a competitive process that would be overseen by the Office of Personnel Management, but defer to the Lucia decision by requiring that an agency head make the final appointment of the ALJ.

All we know for now is that ALJ candidates who have already been on the hiring register received emails this week letting them know that the register was now closed. Other than that, there is a lot of speculation as to the next steps the agencies will take to hire new judges and to whether the proposed bill will get the traction it needs to restore the ALJ hiring process back to a competitive format. 

Got a question about SSDI or SSI that you need us to answer? Please check out our website at www.westcoastdisability.com . We try to provide you with helpful information on our website that will allow you to successfully navigate the Social Security Disability process. Also, feel free to email me your questions at megan@westcoastdisability.com or call me at (800) 459-3017 x 103.

2 comments:

  1. I was unaware of what you have shared here. Thanks for sharing such valuable information.

    paycheck stub online
    paycheck stub maker

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dr Itua cure my HIV, I have been a ARV Consumption for 10 years. i have been in pains until i came across Dr Itua on blogs site.I emailed him about my details of my HIV and my location i explained every thing to him and he told me that there is nothing to be scared of that he will cured me, he gave me guarantee,He ask me to pay for items fees so when i'm cured I will show gratitude I did and giving testimony of his healing herbs is what I'm going to do for the rest of you out there having HIV and other disease can see the good work of Dr Itua.I received his herbal medicine through EMS Courier service who delivered to my post office within 5 working days.Dr Itua is an honest man and I appreciate him for his good work.My GrandMa called him to appreciate him and rest of my friends did too,Is a joy to me that I'm free of taking Pills and having that fat belle is a nightmare.you will understand what i'm talking about if you have same problem I was having then not now though.I'm free and healthy Big Thanks To Dr Itua Herbal Center.I have his calendar too that he recently sent me,He Cure all kind disease Like,Cancer,Weak Erection,Wart Remover,Hpv,Herpes,Alzheimer’s disease,Bechet’s disease,Crohn’s disease
    ,Cushing’s disease,Heart failure,Multiple Sclerosis,Hypertension,Fibromyalgia,Hiv,Hepatitis B,Liver/Kidney Inflamatory,Epilepsy,Blood Cancer,Prostate Cancer,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Brain Cancer,Lung Cancer,Infertility,Parkinson's disease,Schizophrenia,Lung Cancer,Breast Cancer,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Blood Cancer,Prostate Cancer,siva.Fatal Familial Insomnia Factor V Leiden Mutation ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease,Desmoplastic small-round-cell tumor Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,measles, tetanus, whooping cough, tuberculosis, polio and diphtheriaAmyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresSclerosis,Seizures,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases.Hiv_ Aids,Herpe ,Copd,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,
    Dementia.Fibroid,Diabetes,Dercum,Copd ,and also Bring back Ex Lover Back..Here his Contact .drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Or Whats_app Number +2348149277967

    ReplyDelete